Killymoon Rangers Football Club   Kenneth Charles   Royal Hotel
The Official Website of Killymoon Rangers Football Club
- Sponsors
Time Bar  and Venuel, Cookstown
Mallusk Athletic 2
Killymoon Rangers 6
Saturday 14th April 2018
Ballymena League - Division 2
2:00pm ko @ Newtownabbey
Killymoon Rangers travelled to Newtownabbey in Belfast on Saturday 14th April for their penultimate away league fixture against fourth place Mallusk Athletic FC.
Due to the M2 motorway being temporarily closed, all traffic was diverted on Saturday, and as a result Killymoon were delayed almost 2 hours, arriving just in time for kick off. Warm-up preparations were far from ideal, but the visiting side were determined to start fast and not let anything get in the way of their league challenge.
The first goal of the game came after twenty minutes following a mix-up in the Mallusk defence, which allowed Richard Donaghy to capitalize and slot the ball into an open net. 1-0 Killymoon.
Within five minutes of taking the lead, Killymoon were picking the ball out of their own net after the home team broke through midfield and fired a snapshot past the helpless Killymoon goalkeeper (1-1).
There was a notable effort from Killymoon right back Eoin Coyle, after some excellent build-up play down the right-hand side. A combination of triangle passing lead to the chance, and unfortunately for Coyle he couldn't finish off the fantastic piece of play, which would undoubtedly have been a contender for goal of season had he converted.
Just before half time Declan Campbell finally notched up his first goal of the season, the midfielder found himself in a prime position and finished well in off the post to put his side 2-1 up. Unfortunately, this lead was also to be short-lived as Mallusk went straight down the other end and scored through their number 9, who proved to be a handful throughout the day. 2-2 at the break.
A stern team talk at halftime, and a reminder from management of just how important the next 45 minutes were had the desired effect. Killymoon came flying out of the blocks, and within minutes got themselves back in front through Warren Smith. Richard Donaghy latched on to a loose ball, burst into the Mallusk penalty area, and quickly squared the ball to Smith, who had an easy job of tapping home Killymoon's third of the game.
The away side continue to press, whilst the home team began to tire. Killymoon won a corner on the 55th minute, and the resulting delivery was scrambled home by centre half Jamie O'Neill. 4-2 Killymoon.
Shortly after, Killymoon won a throw-in deep in the Mallusk half. A long ball was launched into the 18-yard box by Eoin Coyle, and frontman Stuart Donaghy met the ball with a bullet header into the bottom corner of the net. 5-2 to the Cookstown side, with 3 points all but secured.
Late in the game, Killymoon notched up their 6th and final goal of the game, when Richard Donaghy latched on to a goal kick which beat the sleeping Mallusk backline. The forward sharply rounded the outrushing goalkeeper and tapped in from a few yards out.
Killymoon remain top of Division Two, four points clear of second place Clough Rangers. Next up in the league is a local derby game with Cookstown RBL reserves on Tuesday 17th April at Fairhill Park. (6.45pm Kick off)

- Sponsors
Cookstown Taxi Cabs
Copyright 2007-19 © Killymoon Rangers Football Club